- Gupta N, Weber H, Moss S, Gaire-Patel K. Are antibiotic resistant “super bugs” a real challenge to antimicrobial central venous catheter performance? AVA 2014.
- O’Grady NP, Alexander M, Burns LA, Dellinger P, Garland J, Heard SO et al Guidelines for the Prevention of Intravascular Catheter-related Infections, 2011. The Centers for Disease Control. www.cdc.gov/hicpac/pdf/guidelines/bsi-guidelines-2011.pdf
- SHEA Compendium https://www.shea-online.org/index.php/practice-resources/priority-topics/compendium-of-strategies-to-prevent-hais
- Rosenbauer KA, Herzer JA. Surface morphology and tensile force at breaking point or different kinds of intravenous catheters before and after usage. Scan Electron Microsc. 1981;(Pt 3):125-30.
- Collins JL, Lutz RJ. In vitro Study of Simultaneous Infusion of Incompatible Drugs in Multilumen Catheters. Heart & Lung. 1991; 20(3):271-7.
*Use a chlorhexidine/silver sulfadiazine or minocycline/rifampin -impregnated CVC in patients whose catheter is expected to remain in place >5 days if, after successful implementation of a comprehensive strategy to reduce rates of CLABSI, the CLABSI rate is not decreasing.
**Use such catheters in the following instances: i. Hospital units or patient populations have a CLABSI rate above institutional goals despite compliance with basic CLABSI prevention practices. Some evidence suggests that use of antimicrobial CVCs may have no additional benefit in patient care units that have already established a low incidence of catheter infections. ii. Patients have limited venous access and a history of recurrent CLABSI. iii. Patients are at heightened risk of severe sequelae from a CLABSI (e.g, patients with recently implanted intravascular devices, such as a prosthetic heart valve or aortic graft).
The Arrowg+ard Blue Plus® CVC is contraindicated for patients with known hypersensitivity to chlorhexidine and silver sulfadiazine and/or sulfa drugs.
Teleflex, the Teleflex logo, Arrow, Arrowg+ard Blue Plus, and Blue FlexTip are trademarks or registered trademarks of Teleflex Incorporated or its affiliates, in the U.S. and/or other countries. All other trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners. MC-004518 Rev 1